USA moving checklist
To ensure nothing is forgotten about and to help your move to the USA run as smoothly as possible, we have created a printable checklist with detailed recommendations that you can refer to at each stage leading up to your moving date.
The very early stages of the move:
- Check your passports are all valid and in date.
- Make sure you have received your US visa.
- Have a good sort out of your belongings and decide which things you want to take with you and those that can either go to charity or go to the skip.
- Make sure you have necessary insurance cover (for the move, personal, medical, car etc.).
6 weeks before the move:
- Double check all the travel arrangements, if you're shipping your goods or using trains, planes, etc.
- Obtain your medical records and make sure you inform your dentist and doctors of your move.
- Inform your child’s school and obtain a copy of their school records.
4 weeks before the move:
- Get in touch with us and go over all aspects of the move.
- Write up an inventory list of everything you wish to take with you.
2 weeks before the move:
- Speak to the removals manager to arrange the storage of your goods, if you need it.
- Make sure you have paid all your bills.
- Transfer or close your bank accounts.
1 week before the move:
- Final checks with the removals manager.
- Start cleaning and packing all the belongings you're going to be taking with you.
- Change over your money to US dollars.
- Make sure your hand luggage is packed with essentials e.g. passports, essential documents, US visas, etc.
- Double check everywhere to make sure you’ve not left anything behind.