What Do I Need To Know Before Moving Overseas?

Moving abroad is a huge decision and our international team understand how difficult this can be. That is why we have put together a list of the most frequently asked questions from our international moving clients. We hope this helps you while making decisions on when and where you want to move to. 

moving overseas

How do you move to another country?

The answer to this question depends on your situation and where you want to move to. If you are an individual relocating on your own with a few suitcases then the answer is; fairly easily. If, on the other hand, you are a family who wants to move their household abroad, along with your pets then this will need more time and consideration. If you are thinking of moving abroad we would always advise you to contact a BAR approved FIDI partner to discuss your relocation options. 

Who to inform when moving abroad

When you are planning to move abroad from the UK you will need to inform the relevant government offices. You will need to inform your local council and give them a forwarding address and you will need to inform HMRC to ensure you are paying the right amount of Tax. If you have a state pension, student loan or are on benefits you will need to inform these offices of your new address too. 

Can I move my pet to another country? 

Yes. The regulations for moving pets differs depending on where you are moving to. If you are moving to Europe your pet must be microchipped and have had a rabies vaccination. Animals flying to their destination country must also have a “Fit to Fly” certificate, signed by an authorised vet. For destinations further afield you may need to obtain import permits and most countries require a quarantine period. For more information check out our guide on moving abroad with pets.

How to keep a UK address when moving abroad?

This is fairly easy. You can keep your UK address when moving abroad with the Royal Mail redirection service. This can be set up for as little as £36 and means you won’t miss out on any of your UK post. 

Can I keep my UK bank account when moving abroad?

This depends on your bank. We advise you to contact your bank to notify them when you have made the decision to relocate. There may be some service limitations placed on your UK bank account when you move and access to online banking might be restricted. 

What happens to my UK state pension if I move abroad? 

You can still claim your UK State Pension if you move abroad. That said, be aware that you will only receive the annual increase if you move to a European Economic Area country, Switzerland or any other country with a State Pension Agreement. 

What happens to my student loan if I move abroad?

If you leave the UK for more than 3 months you must inform the Student Loans Company and update your employment details with them. You will still need to repay your loan unless your income is below the threshold. 

What happens to my mortgage if I move abroad?

If you want to keep your UK property you can continue to pay your mortgage if you move abroad. Once your mortgage period ends you will need to apply for an expat remortgage. Expats can also ask their mortgage company for ‘consent to let’.  A formal agreement between you and your mortgage lender giving you permission to rent out your home.

What country should I move to?

If you are set on moving abroad but haven’t decided on your destination then the world is literally your oyster! That said, there are key things to consider when moving abroad. What is the standard of living in the country and is there a good job market? Consider the cost of living versus what you expect to be paid to get a good understanding of affordability. Make sure you check out their healthcare and education systems as well as your visa and tax requirement if you were to become a resident. Finally, always visit the country/city you are planning to move to first to ensure you are really happy with your choice of destination. 

What to pack when moving abroad

When it comes to relocating abroad you can take as much or as little as you want. If you are only moving for a set period of time then it is much easier to put your furniture and most household items into long term storage. This is more cost effective than shipping it there and back. If this is a long term move and you want to take your home contents, check out our guide to shipping for more information. What you can take depends on your destination country’s customs restrictions. Generally, any food products and perishable items as well as alcohol, flammable liquids, batteries and firearms are prohibited. 

If you are planning on moving abroad contact our international service centre for more information and guidance on your relocation.


Get a free quote 0800 8595 380