Canada moving checklist
The key to a successful overseas move is forward planning. That’s why Clockwork Removals have come up with a simple and easy checklist to help you organise yourself, so you’re fully prepared for moving to Canada.
So whether it’s a business move or a home move, use our printable guide to make sure you’ve got everything covered. Then our team can step in and use their professional skills to ensure your move to Canada goes ahead as smoothly and stress-free as possible. Give us a call today »
As soon as possible
- Apply for your Canadian visa so you have a legal right to live there.
- Check that all passports for everyone travelling are valid (must be valid for more than six months).
- Book your flight – the earlier you do this, the cheaper it will be.
6 weeks before you move:
- Let your dentist and doctors know about your move to Canada so you can arrange to get a copy of your medical records from them.
- Inform your local council of your move so they can check to see if you are due a tax rebate.
A month before you move:
- Speak to Clockwork Removals to confirm the arrangements.
- Arrange all insurances such as car, health, transit protection, etc.
- Make sure that all your finances are in order and debts paid off.
- If you are taking your car to Canada, make sure the MOT is up to date.
- Start sorting through your personal belongings; find an appropriate way to get rid of the things you don’t want to take with you – gifting, selling, charity, etc.
2 weeks before you move:
- If you have any rented possessions in your property, make necessary arrangements to have these collected.
- If you require storage for your goods, get in touch with Clockwork Removals.
- Close any bank accounts or make sure you have transferred the money to your new Canadian accounts.
- Notify people of your change of address.
- Start cleaning and packing all items.
The week before:
- Label all packaged boxes so you know which room in the new property they need to be in.
- Make final checks with Clockwork Removals.
- Change your money over into Canadian Dollars.
A few days before:
- Let your neighbours know you will be moving tomorrow so they know to expect a bit of disruption.
- Pack your hand luggage bag and make sure all your important documents are kept together such as your passport and visa.
- Carry out any final checks throughout the property making sure you have everything you need.
- Turn off the power and water supply, lock up and hand all sets of keys back to the estate agents.