New Zealand moving checklist
Moving to the other side of the world requires a lot of forward planning and detailed organisation. Here at Clockwork Removals we have years of experience successfully moving people and businesses to New Zealand, so we’ve decided to create a printer friendly checklist for moving to New Zealand, to help keep you focused on what needs to be done and when.
If you use this printable guide as a point of reference then hopefully you’ll keep on track and as soon as you reach the end of the list, you can relax and hand everything else over to us!
As early as you can:
- Apply for your New Zealand visa.
- Check to make sure your passports are all valid, if any are out of date apply for new ones.
- Research the country and learn about their culture and way of life.
- It’s never too early to sort out your belongings. Organise the things you want to take with you and make a list, remember you will be charged according to the quantity of goods that need to be shipped.
6 weeks before:
- Once you have a date confirmed you can book your flight.
- If you know you won’t be moving into your accommodation straight away, now is the time to make prior short term arrangements.
- Let your doctor and dentist know about your move so you can have a copy of your medical records.
- Check whether you qualify for free emergency healthcare in New Zealand, if not arrange your health insurance now.
4 weeks before:
- Arrange to have all your mail redirected to your new address.
- Cancel any subscriptions you have such as the gym.
- Arrange insurance cover for the move.
- Sort out everything that you are leaving behind, either give it to charity, sell it or dispose of it.
- Speak to Clockwork Removals to finalise and double check all arrangements.
2 weeks before:
- Make plans for storage with Clockwork Removals.
- Pay off any outstanding bills.
- Close or transfer bank accounts.
- Clean all items so they're ready to pack.
1 week before:
- Final checks with Clockwork Removals manager.
- Start packing all belongings and label them up for which room they need to go in for your new property.
- Change money into New Zealand dollars.
A few days before:
- Pack your hand luggage bag ensuring all important documents are kept together, such as passports, visas and medication.
- Let your neighbours know about the move so they won’t be inconvenienced by removals trucks on the day.
On the day:
- Go through the whole property and check all rooms to make sure nothing has been left behind, double check drawers, cupboard, wardrobes etc.