Halloween Special: Moving House Superstitions
As it is coming up to Halloween we thought we would take a look at some of the weird and wonderful moving house superstitions from around the world.
- In China the word for orange is very similar to the word for luck. For this reason it is considered lucky (as well as lovely!) to take round an orange tree to friends and family who have moved home.
- In the southern state of America porches are frequently painted blue to trick evil spirits. It is believed that ghouls cannot cross water and the blue colour represents water and therefore protects the house. This colour has become known as “Haint Blue”.
- Candles have long been used in many religions and customs as a way of warding off evil spirits. Many traditions around the world, similar to this, dictate that a candle should be lit in your new home to cast light on evil.
- Similar to this, salt is also used around the world to ward off spirits. Believers are encouraged to pour salt in the corners of their new home, leave it overnight and then vacuum the salt (and the evil) up the next day!
- In Ireland ancient folklore states that the first time you enter your new home you should then leave again through the same door. So the first time you enter your new home through the front door make sure you leave through that door too – no using the back door!
- Traditionally in China new home owners are encouraged to shine light on the dark corners of rooms and closets to show spirits where they can hide.
- If you have some fennel to hand, medieval folklore states that you should stuff your keyholes with it! Apparently it wards off witches.
- If you are a follower of Feng Shui, grab a Tibetan bell and ring it loudly throughout your home. This will help remove all the stagnant and bad “Chi” (energy).
- Finally, Native Americans believe burning sage will remove bad energy from your home. We wouldn’t mind giving this one a try as we bet it smells nice!
We don’t think we can help much with the traditions but we can certainly help you move home quickly, calmly and efficiently. Get in touch with us today for your no obligation quotation.