USA moving checklist
To help make sure nothing is forgotten about and to help your move to the USA run as smoothly as possible, we’ve created a printable checklist with detailed recommendations that you can refer to at each stage leading up to your moving date.
The very early stages of the move:
- Check your passports are all valid and in date.
- Make sure you have received your US visa.
- Have a good sort out of your belongings and decide which things you want to take with you and those that can either go to charity or go to the skip.
- Make sure you have necessary insurance cover (for the move, personal, medical, car etc.).
6 weeks before the move:
- Double check all the travel arrangements, if you're shipping your goods or using trains, planes, etc.
- Obtain your medical records and make sure you inform your dentist and doctors of your move.
- Inform your child’s school and obtain a copy of their school records.
4 weeks before the move:
- Get in touch with us and go over all aspects of the move.
- Write up an inventory list of everything you wish to take with you.
2 weeks before the move:
- Speak to the removals manager to arrange the storage of your goods, if you need it.
- Make sure you have paid all your bills.
- Notify people of your change of address.
- Transfer or close your bank accounts.
1 week before the move:
- Final checks with the removals manager.
- Start cleaning and packing all the belongings you're going to be taking with you.
- Change over your money to US dollars.
- Make sure your hand luggage is packed with essentials e.g. passports, essential documents, US visas, etc.
- Double check everywhere to make sure you’ve not left anything behind.
Once you’ve ticked these off your list, you can begin to relax and look forward to your exciting move!
Please feel free to use our printer friendly guide to make sure you're fully in control and well prepared for your move to the USA, or speak to our friendly team if you have any questions »
They were polite, efficient, highly professional - everything we could have asked for. Rupert Alston / Rupert Alston. SW4 - France
I've moved internationally on numerous occasions over the years, but, without doubt, our most professional removal experience was with Clockwork. They coordinated everything to ensure that the move went smoothly and on-time, from shipping through storage and delivery, and they had the best trained team I have ever worked with. They worked quickly and efficiently to execute the move successfully, and maintained a rarely-found sense of teamwork and respect throughout the process. I would highly recommend Clockwork. John / Connecticut, USA to Edinburgh
The service has been top notch from start to finish. Thanks for everything!! Bill / Chicago, USA to Glasgow
An excellent and highly professional operation. I was particularly impressed by speed of response to queries and the willingness to modify the schedule and services to changed circumstances. Michael Conlon /
Very friendly, efficient and adaptable team and good admin support as well. Overall very impressed and thanks for your help. Sarah Gromova / London
The Service was of an Excellent Standard from start to finish. Thank you. Madeleine Price / Cannock
I've used Clockwork 4-5 times for shipments to Cyprus. All is basically taken care of as soon as the first phone call is made. All staff from office to packers are extremely helpful polite and efficient Tom Smith / Lincoln